Tuesday 9 October 2012

Oil pastels and Halloween week - Gio

Hi, 
On this second day of our oil pastel week, Gio has used a technique some of you might have already tried with inks and brayer: The Joseph's coat technique.
You basically cover your base card with bright colours, then add a layer of black pastel and scratch the surface once dry to let the bright colours show through the black. It's a very effective technique and fun to try.
Why don't you have a go and let us know how you get on... Maybe for our calendar challenge on Sunday ? ;)




I cut a piece of white cardstock to size, then I covered it with a light colour of oil pastel (I used Faber-Castell oil pastel: Light purple pink). Then I covered the cardstock, layer by layer (with light strokes), with darker shades of oil pastels. I made 5 different layers, using black as last layer. Then make some doodles using a scratch tool or embossing tool. 
TIP
If you are afraid to hand-drawing, stamp lightly with white ink and then scratch the surface following the stamped image.





Gio used:
Faber-Castell oil pastels: Black, Burnt ochre, Fuchsia, Light purple pink, Purple violet, Van Dyck brown, Helioblue-reddish, Dark Cadmium orange
PaperArtsy Crackly tissue paper
Brilliance Dew Drop ink pad - moonlight white
Archival ink Plum


Our special off this week
10% off the Faber-Castell set of 36 oil pastels
enter the code PASTEL10 at checkout


See you tomorrow



6 comments:

  1. This is lovely! Such a fun technique! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab project and such a contrast to yesterday's. It's hard to believe you both used the same product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the effect. It takes me back to when I was a child, we used to do this with oil and wax crayons!
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for the detailed instructions on this (though like Julia says, it does take me back to my younger days when we did something similar with wax crayons). I just love what you've done and am now looking forward to doing something similar. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both tags, very original as usuals !!! And thank you for having used and explained this technique that I didn't know yet ! It's very interesting, I think I will try to see better the nice effects... Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great technique again one I will try out love the finished effect thanks for sharing
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.