Thursday 11 October 2012

Oil pastels and Halloween week - Karen, Jane and Michelle

Hi, 
Three Dt members on one post today. Aren't you spoiled? And also three different ways to use the oil pastels so a bit more inspiration for you. 

Starting with Jane, and how to make a colourful, flowery background with oil pastels. A simple but yet effective technique.



I have used another #10 Manilla tag for this calendar project. With oil pastels, colour circles all over the tag.

Using cotton buds and Sansodor, blend the circles to soften them.

Spray the tag with a Dylusions ink spray, it will colour any blank areas, wipe off any excess

Add the calendar, layered on coredinations, paper flowers coloured with oil pastels and also sprayed with ink spray and die-cut flourishes

Faber Castell oil pastels - Cobalt Blue, Light Cobalt Turquoise, Light Flesh, Dark Flesh, Light Purple, Purple Violet
Anita's Calendar Tabs
Dylusions Ink Spray - Bubblegum Pink
Sizzix Sizzlits Set - Decorative Flourishes

***********
The second sample was made by Karen, who used the oil pastels to draw, something she had never done before, and she is the only one to have attempted it this week. All I can say, is kuddos to her as this is a difficult medium to draw/paint with. I have tried it myself on an art journal page, and it's really not easy. 
Here's Karen's calendar page.... 

I have done a small picture of St Michaels Mount in Cornwall using 3 colours and blending with my fingers which I found easier than using a paper stump. I masked off an uneven shape before I started colouring, then went round with a coloured pen. I edged the card with a mix of Distress inks

Oil pastels in: cobalt blue, burnt ochre & white

******

Last but not least today, a Halloween calendar sample by Michelle and a very different approach to oil pastels, which I'm sure many of you will like. I really want to try this myself. Great idea Michelle ! Thank you 

I wanted to create a coloured background using the pastels but when I tried applying directly to paper found it left lines where the medium had been applied so hit on the idea of scribbling onto spare card and moving the pastel with a Tim Holtz Applicator onto the page to create a smooth background. I think it worked pretty well don't you?


I stamped out the image with versafine, which created a lovely crisp image over the pastel.


To give a few highlights, I used a pencil style eraser to take out some of the colour.


And here's the finished result!

Michelle used:
Faber-Castell oil pastel: Burnt ochre, Cadmium orange, Black, Permanent green olive, Raw Umber
Stampers Anonymous - Tim Holtz: Halloween blueprint stamp set
Versafine ink pad - Onyx Black
Anita's Calendar Tabs


Our special off this week
10% off the Faber-Castell set of 36 oil pastels
enter the code PASTEL10 at checkout



See you tomorrow





10 comments:

  1. All three of these are just amazing. I am in seriously love with Michelle's though, fantastic use of the TH Applicator. Oh boy...I might need me some pastels now. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh fab. love the background idea will be giving that a go later on! thanks for the fab inspiration. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three totally different but fab techniques and finished projects love them all can't wait to try them out, thanks for sharing
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant techniques, all three! Pastels don't fade either...so a good medium to use! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations ladies, three superb, inspirational, pieces of work - all so different. Hats off, especially to Karen, for doing something out of your comfort zone. All the DT are just brilliant, and I'm sure I can speak for so many people, if not everyone who reads the blog, that you give us the mental push we need to try something new - thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great ideas, I didn't think to use Sansodor with the pastels, what a fab BG it makes. I love it when you are shown a new technique that uses things you already have. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All very clever ideas but love the idea of using pastels with TH blending foam and tool - right up my street!
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inspiring techniques... need to try those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow 3 different ways to use pastels, thanks a lot for the inspiration and beautiful calendars

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful creations DT and I love the technique of using a piece of foam to apply the pastels.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.